Patients often speak with us about how they can best protect their smiles from all of the potential negative side effects of plaque and even staining agents. If your goal is to maintain a truly beautiful, sparkling, healthy smile, it is important that you visit us regularly for preventive care. While your efforts will not stop there, practicing excellent hygiene is not something that will take too much time or require extraordinary attention. It’s actually quite simple. You will simply need to care for your teeth at home. Already a brushing pro? How about flossing? Even with exceptional brushing, if you ignore the dental floss, you are undermining your own efforts. Ready to make sure you’re flossing right to protect your beautiful smile? Take the following quiz:
Flossing Quiz: True or False?
- True or False: You should cut small pieces of floss to use between each pair of your teeth while you clean them.
- True or False: You should slide the floss down between your teeth just beneath your gumline and then move it straight up and down.
- True or False: You should floss as many times a day as you can.
Dental Quiz Answer Key
- False. You should tear off a length of floss measuring approximately 1-½ feet. This will provide you with enough for your entire mouth. Begin on one end and move to a new fresh segment as you make your way through your mouth to avoid transporting debris or plaque from one area to the next.
- False. Moving the floss up and down will not accomplish much. Once you place the floss between your teeth and just beneath your gumline, you should cup it to the side. You want the floss to form the shape of a “c” around one tooth. Drag the floss up the tooth along its side to remove plaque and debris. Switch sides, performing this same method on the other tooth. Repeat throughout your mouth for effective home preventive care.
- False. You should floss once daily. However, if food becomes lodged between your teeth, you may use floss again to gently remove it.
ABOUT YOUR WEST ALLIS COSMETIC DENTIST:
Located in West Allis, WI, Michael E. Flynn, DDS, and his talented team of dental care professionals proudly welcome patients from West Allis, Brookfield, Wauwatosa, and all Western Milwaukee communities. To learn more, or to schedule your next appointment, call Michael Flynn Dentistry today at 414-541-8250.